Crossing the Line

By Badri Raina

Sardar Montek Singh Ahluwalia,
He plan my  poverty;
Suddenly I am a rich man,
For my income is  thirty three.

Having crossed the line by a whole Rupee,
I now have more and more;
I see around my  jhuggi  things
I never could  see  before.

That magic buck  floats angelic
Beyond  my penury;
The thirty two upon the ground
Reach up for the Christmas tree.

The knowledge that this extra buck
Puts  me  among the haves,
Makes me  feel  I needed not
The  sumptuous fishes and loaves

That  I never had nor ever will
Find upon my skeletal palm;
Better prepared I am to starve
With  thirty third for balm.

At thirty three the son of god
Suffered  fake  demise;
Food or no food I too am set
To  rise, and rise, and rise.

Dear Montek, he give selflessly
Such  healthful advice;
Soon no poor shall remain,
But plenty of rice.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the Matter With Cultural Studies?

Remembering Maninder Singh Kang

You don't know (A poem by Pash)